Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner with friends

Tonight we went to the Websters/Coronas for Thanksgiving tea. Mel's husband Dean is from USA, well he was born in Mexico but grew up in the States and every year Mel puts on this amazing dinner. Now when I say Mel and her Mum Jackie are good cooks, that is an understatement. They have some of the best culinary talents that I have ever come across. Honestly guys don't deny it!!

Mark and Jackie

The beautifully set tables before we tucked in.
Even the kids' table looked very fancy.
SO in preparation for the big event, I had a light breakfast and lunch so I would not be starving but not too full either. Dinner was served at 4 pm and it was even better than Christmas. Dean had taken two days off work in celebration of the event. Mel who I might add is 30wks pregnant had spent hours and hours in the kitchen getting the meal ready. She sent her Dad out on the Monday morning with a big grocery list so everything would be ready by Thursday.

Emily and Louise came with little William. Levi was at home looking after Korom and of course Deidre and Kim are in Qld so they missed out this year. Mark's Mum was there too.

Emily took some plates home to Levi and Lousie's house piled high with food for Levi and Korom. Because they just live down the road, Emily walked home and I just had to take a photo of her walking down the country road with two plates ladden with food in her arms.

Levi and Louise's house
Okay the turkey and this was the biggest turkey I had ever seen, had been in the webber since 9.30am. It was so tender it just about melted in your mouth. With that we had sweet potato with melted marshmellows on top, steamed carrots, beans and asparagus, mashed potato with cream cheese and cream through it, a spinach cheese dish, salad, stuffing, and the most divine turkey gravy. I had never thought sweet potato and marshmellows would go but hey they were yummo!!


Pigout time
Dean's plate
The kids then went on a treasure hunt while we let dinner settle and then we started on dessert. A choice of 6 pies and I tried every one of them. We had pumpkin, pecan, strawberry, chocolate, apple/blueberry and banana caramel cream pie - all homemade.





But what was even better than all the food was the great company. Jackie and Mel's family always make you feel right at home. It usually takes me quite a while to relax around people, I mean really relax beyond surface level where I can be my true goofy self. They just accept people for who they are. That's what I love about them.


We stayed until about 9.30 and gave the kids a bath together. They had a great time until Kealin did a wee. It was such a laugh. I can't believe we fit them in. Thanks guys for a wonderful night and even more wonderful memories. You realise now its a tea date every Thanksgiving.

Of course we can't have a night out without Hallie in a costume. Here she is wearing Charna's Halloween costume. Charna let her take it home for the weekend.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

Oh wow - the food looks amazing. All those different pies remind me so much of living in the US. They are crazy about their pies!

make it perfect said...

those pies look soooo good - any left?!!! reading this post makes me feel sad that we have moved away from you guys! come and visit soon :)

Chelsea Parsons said...

they sure do love their pies and their turkey. Did you have cranberry sauce? I wuv that! What an amazing woman for putting on that spread! Wow!