Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Quilting update

Today after going to the gym with Lisa, I met Mel and Jackie and we went to Spotlight to finish off getting the material for my quilt. They had a few things they wanted to get there so it was great to all go together.

I bribed Hallie to be good by promising we would all go to McDonalds for lunch if she behaved and did not run around in Spotlight. Oliver is still a little young to understand a good bribe which can be annoying because I knew i wanted to concentrate on picking a fabric to do my hearts on the quilt which matched my nine square blocks. It is hard to do that and have eyes like an eagle and in the back of your head to make sure he does not run off. If that happens about 5 minutes later, I hear this 'Mum', 'Mum' yelled out at the top of his voice as he tries to find me.

Sometimes I get looks from other people and I would dearly like to say 'what' back but that would be rude wouldn't it. So i kinda just grimace at them. Thankgoodness Jackie and Mel were there because the instructions I got from Vicki on measurements for different things were straightforward but me... well clueless is a word that springs to mind.

All those little 3 inch by 3 inch squares I cut out and sewed together to make the 9 square blocks. I then cut out the 4 borders, 20 each of 3 inch by 41/2 inch rectangles and sewed them together. Now I have to cut out the hearts (with the reddish/brown material) that go on the big squares of calico and applique that - once I learn how that is. I am trying to get an old-fashioned look here with the colours I chose. I wonder if that will be achieved in the end. A couple more borders, some applique, backing, wadding and quilting - there it sounds easy....AAHHH!!

Did I mention that Mel and Jackie have finished their quilts and Mel is onto her second. I am sure I am the slowest in our quilting class but our teachers Vicki and Phyllis are so patient and I have always wanted to learn quilting.


Once we got everything and browsed around for a bit, we took the kids to McDonalds where they could finally let off some of that energy.

At 1.30pm we went to the hospital for another review of Hallie's arm. Finally the cast was off after 5 weeks and gets to stay off. The break is not compleetely healed yet but as long as she does not do too much climbing, jumping etc, the doctor just said to come back in 6 wks for a check-up. And yes I did tell him our nickname for her is 'monkey' because she is such a climber and daredevil but he seems to think the risk is worth it.

2 comments:

The Kings said...

Your quilt will look great once it is finished. I have always wanted to learn how to quilt too, but sounds way too complicated for me!
Glad Halli's arm is better.

Carli said...

It looks like you're off to a flying start with your quilting mentors beside you all the way. I love the description of the kids in Spotlight - I love watching them run around and have fun (other people don't seem to enjoy it) - I'd rather have lively spirited kids myself.